Wellness Matters at Monterey
Welcome to the Monterey Middle School Counselling Services website where wellness matters!
Here you will find informative resources about stress management, anxiety, depression, eating disorders and many other issues that young people may be dealing with.
CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE COMMUNITY
MIND FIT & MIND FIT OUTDOORS – AGES 13-19
YMCA Mind Fit, in partnership with organizations across the province, is a 8-week program for teens ages 13-19 with mild to moderate symptoms of depression and/or anxiety. Participants, in a small group setting of 10-12 teens, will have an opportunity to connect with and learn from others in their community who are going through similar experiences. YMCA Mind Fit is run out of the Downtown Y.
Mind Fit and Mind Fit Outdoors are mental wellness and physical activity programs that supports teens in learning healthy coping skills and incorporating physical fitness into their mental health plan. “Mind Fit” is a two hour program based at the Westhills Y combining an hour of activities and discussions about mental health and coping skills followed by an hour of fitness programming. “Mind Fit Outdoors” integrates time outside trying new skills and connecting with the local natural environment (on land and on sometimes on the water) with healthy coping skills and information about incorporating outdoor activity into teens mental wellness strategies.
Both versions of the program are co-facilitated by a mental health professional and an activity specialist.
- Ages 13-19
- Experiencing depression, low mood, anxiety, worry, stress (a formal diagnosis is not required)
- Participate in an information session
- All fitness and ability levels welcome
NEW ROOTS PROGRAM
For Youth ages 11-14 (middle school) who are self-motivated to participate in an awesome and supportive group environment for personal growth.
New Roots is a nature-based wellness program for youth who are looking to develop healthy strategies to cope with stress and anxiety. Find peer support and mentors who will help you explore new strategies in a fun, no-pressure, safe, and supportive outdoor setting. Youth will have the chance to pause from the hectic demands of life to re-connect with their Self and the natural world. Situated in beautiful local parks, youth will have the chance to participate in yoga, hiking, invasive species art project, nature connection, team building, mindfulness and effective tools for cultivating a peaceful state of mind.
Parents/guardians are asked to participate as well by attending 2 parent-only education sessions, with a focus on supporting youth and personal wellness. Parent session dates TBA.
Dates: April 29th and May 20th, 7-9pm @ the Crystal Pool
* THIS PROGRAM TAKES PLACE ENTIRELY OUTDOORS, RAIN OR SHINE! YOUTH ARE EXPECTED TO SHOW UP WITH APPROPRIATE CLOTHING FOR OUR WEST COAST WEATHER.
**PEOPLE OF ALL GENDERS, SEXUALITIES, BODIES, ANCESTRIES, CULTURES, AND ABILITIES ARE WELCOME.
TO REGISTER TO THIS PROGRAM, PLEASE CONTACT: SHELLEY BROWN AT THE CRYSTAL POOL (250-361-0705)
Or for more information, contact email@example.com
- After your registration with the Crystal Pool, you will be emailed our intake forms to complete. Robin will then contact you to set up a brief in-person intake meeting with each youth to determine fit for the program, answer any questions you may have, and build a connection before the program starts. If it is determined that the program is not a good fit for your youth, a full refund will be applied.
Counsellor’s Update E-mails
- Monterey Middle School CounsellingWelcome to the Monterey Middle School Counselling Services website where wellness matters! Here you will find informative resources about stress management, anxiety, depression, eating disorders and many other issues that young people may be dealing with. CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE COMMUNITY MIND FIT & MIND FIT OUTDOORS – AGES 13-19 YMCA Mind Fit, in partnershipContinue reading “Home”
- Counsellor’s Update – October 2019I hope you all enjoyed some family time over the long weekend! Over the past month I have had several parents reach out to me with concerns about the mental health of their child. My first suggestion is always to have a doctor’s visit for assessment so that you can confirm whether your child isContinue reading “Home”
- Counsellors’ Update – September 2019Hello from Monterey’s School Counselling team! I hope everyone had a fantastic summer. I am so excited to be back at Monterey for my second year as the School Counsellor. Once again, I have the pleasure of working with my student counsellor, Sarah Wilson, who is also your student’s drama exploratory teacher. This year weContinue reading “Home”